There has been an unprecedented response from the general public to the news that a young white-tailed eagle has been found illegally poisoned on a grouse moor in the world-famous Cairngorms National Park (see here and here).
The Scottish Government published a pathetically inadequate tweet yesterday (here) designed to fob everyone off but actually generating even more fury at its continued wilful blindness and refusal to tackle this head on.
Public anger is palpable. Social media is still FULL of the death of this eagle, 48hrs after the news first broke, and hundreds of ordinary members of the public have been so incensed they’ve taken to writing emails to the very top of the pile, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.
This one, from Iain Cameron (@theiaincameron) is a masterclass in reasoning:
But so far this one is my favourite (from anon):
Ladies, I know your inboxes are full and getting fuller so I will be brief;
Prompted by the recent poisoning of a white-tailed eagle in the Cairngorms National Park I note;
1) That none of the measures put in place to protect Scotland’s birds of prey seems to have any effect
2) No one has ever been convicted of killing an eagle in Scotland
3) Satellite-tagged eagles can be killed with impunity right up to the Edinburgh bypass
4) The Werritty Review’s outcome of a five year period of self-regulation is infuriating and futile
5) Your party appears not to have the stomach to take on serious, organised crime by landed interests in Scotland
6) Indeed your appointment of Richard Scott’s financial adviser Benny Higgins (a former colleague of mine) as an economic advisor suggests the opposite – that you regard these people as trustworthy or reputable in some way
7) Lots of people (including me) are extremely angry about your hand-wringing and inaction
8) I expect action from you. Driven grouse shooting is a moral disgrace, drives out productive land use, wrecks our uplands and depends on rampant criminality. It needs to be banned right now.
9) The Cairngorms National Park should either become an actual nation park with no sport shooting or it should come to an end. If it has no power to tackle this carnage there’s little point in it existing.
Thanks for reading.
Thank you to all of you who have written to the First Minister (Nicola Sturgeon) and Environment Cabinet Secretary (Roseanna Cunningham) expressing your disgust and urging immediate action. It is clear that their inboxes have been deluged. Good, they need to be.
Here are their email addresses for those who would still like to comment:
To email Nicola Sturgeon, please use this address: firstname.lastname@example.org
To email Roseanna Cunningham, please use this address: CabSecECCLR@gov.scot
UPDATE 29th July 2020: Poisoned sea eagle: Chris Packham’s letter to Scottish Ministers (here)