Dead Silence

Last week’s police raid on a sporting estate in Perthshire was widely reported in the media. We were told that three week’s earlier, two poisoned buzzards and poisoned bait had been discovered on the estate, and that this had led to the issuing of a police warrant to search various properties on the estate. What we weren’t told was the name of the estate in question. Was this omission just a genuine oversight? Apparently not. According to an article published in The Courier on 8 April 2011, Tayside Police ‘refused to disclose the exact location of the estate’. This suggests that the journalist from The Courier had specifically asked for the name of the Estate but Tayside Police decided to keep it a secret. Courier article here: http://www.thecourier.co.uk/Living/Outdoors/article/12730/inquiry-into-discovery-of-poisoned-birds-of-prey-on-a-perthshire-estate-continues.html

Similarly, the other agencies involved with the raid (reported to be the RSPB, National Wildlife Crime Unit and the Scottish Government Rural Payment Inspections Directorate) have remained tight-lipped about the operation.

Let’s contrast this silence with the report of another police raid that Tayside Police undertook last week. According to a news item on the Tayside Police website, they raided six properties across Dundee last Friday ‘as part of a pre-planned operation aimed at disrupting a serious and organised crime group believed to be involved in a number of offences including drug dealing, money laundering and mortgage fraud’. Were they silent about the locations of the raids and the on-going inquiries? Were they heck. They named the actual streets where these properties were located, the type of property searched and even disclosed what they’d found so far. See news item here: http://www.tayside.police.uk/default.aspx.locid-013new0k8.Lang-EN.htm

Let’s also contrast the silence with the reporting of the two poisoned peregrines that were discovered at the base of a block of flats in Motherwell in February. The SSPCA, who are leading that particular investigation, immediately released the location of where those poisoned birds had been found. And quite right too. See their press release here: http://www.scottishspca.org/news/571_warning-after-falcons-poisoned

So, why would Tayside Police, the RSPB, NWCU and SGRPID not want to reveal the name of the Estate where they have discovered poisoned birds and poisoned bait? They might argue that revealing the Estate’s name is likely to defeat the ends of justice, for example, that evidence could be destroyed or removed. That would be a perfectly legitimate concern BEFORE the raid took place, but their news release was made AFTER the raid and AFTER they had collected potential evidence, so that particular argument doesn’t wash here.

This silence is also an interesting strategy considering the recent launch of the Tayside Policing Plan 2011-2014 (available for download on the Tayside Police website). This Policing Plan sets out the Force’s ‘high level aims for serving and supporting local communities, the local economy and the environment over the next three years. The plan focuses on two Community Priorities – Public Safety and Public Reassurance’. So, how does keeping quiet about the location of potentially lethal poison (which could kill humans and pets, as well as the wildlife it has already killed), fit in with this new Policing Plan? Does this secrecy benefit public safety? Does this secrecy benefit public reassurance? That’s for the local community to decide – although hang on, they can’t decide because they haven’t been told that this poison was found within their community.

Imagine if Tayside Police had discovered a car bomb in, say, Perth town centre. Would they be so coy about revealing the location? Would we see a press release along the lines of ‘We have discovered a car bomb but we’re not telling you where it is and we’re keeping its location a secret’?

I think not. It would obviously be in the public’s interest to be informed about such a threat. So why does Tayside Police and these agencies think that it’s ok not to tell the public where poisoned birds and poisoned bait has been discovered, regardless of whether they can or cannot identify the individual who laid the bait? It’s all very curious.

Reward offered to catch Motherwell peregrine poisoner

Two concerned members of the public have offered a £1,000 reward for information leading to a prosecution in the Motherwell peregrine poisoning incident that took place in February.

Two peregrines were killed after being poisoned with the highly toxic (and illegal) chemical strychnine, and their bodies were discovered just yards from a primary school in Motherwell. See blog post 16 March 2011 for details.

The Scottish SPCA, leading the investigation, have been unable to trace the person responsible, and it is hoped the reward will now act as an incentive for someone to come forward with new information.

SSPCA press release: http://www.scottishspca.org/news/588_reward-for-falcon-poisonings

Thanks to the contributor in France who sent us this link.

Latest on Moy Estate case

Surprise surprise! The Moy Estate case has been adjourned for a second time. Gamekeepers Wayne Grant and James Roderick Rolfe, facing charges under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, did not attend the court hearing yesterday at Inverness Sheriff Court, and no plea was entered. Their case has been adjourned until 5 May 2011, again at Inverness Sheriff Court.

For background reading to this case, see blog posts 3 June 2010, 4 June 2010 and 23 March 2011.

Update on yesterday’s police raid

Tayside Police have released a statement about the raid on a Scottish sporting estate that took place yesterday, following the discovery three weeks ago of two poisoned buzzards and poisoned bait. A 62 year old man was taken in for questioning but has been released pending further enquiries.

Tayside Police statement: http://www.tayside.police.uk/default.aspx.locid-013new0k6.Lang-EN.htm

Poisoned baits found in Ayrshire: dogs and buzzards reported poisoned

A recent spate of poisoning has been reported at Fullarton Woods, Troon, Ayrshire over the last month, apparently resulting in the death of one dog, one fox and possibly two buzzards. A second dog was poisoned but survived. Strathclyde Police are reported to have launched an investigation.

The first incident was reported in the Troon Times on 1 March 2011 and the Ayrshire Birding Forum on 2 March 2011. Rabbit baits laced with poison were discovered in Fullarton Woods on the Fullarton Estate (this is not a sporting estate – it is a public amenity run by South Ayrshire Council that includes a play-park for children). A local resident’s dog was poisoned but made a recovery. Two dead buzzards were apparently discovered, although it has not been confirmed if they had been poisoned.

Troon Times: http://www.troontimes.com/news/troon/articles/2011/03/01/410725-beware-poisoned-carcasses-left-in-troon-woods/

Ayrshire Birding Forum: http://www.ayrshire-birding.org.uk/

On 22 March 2011, Troon Times reported the death of a two-year old golden retriever and linked it to the discovery of a poisoned fox in Fullarton Woods: http://www.troontimes.com/news/troon/articles/2011/03/22/411384-more-animals-poisoned-in-woods/

Five separate poisoning incidents unreported at end of 2010

Earlier this month, PAW Scotland released the ‘2010 poisoning hotspots’ maps as part of their annual reporting. Along with the maps, they released a report called ‘Bird of Prey Poisoning Incidents 2006 to 2010 – Incident Details’. Here is a PDF of that report: 0114784

The name is a bit of a misnomer, as the ‘incident details’ are about as vague as you can get. However, the report does have its uses. There appear to be five separate poisoning incidents that took place between October and December 2010 that were not apparently reported/publicised in the press; three incidents in Tayside and one each in Lothian & Borders and Strathclyde. An internet search has failed to locate any information about these cases. Why do you think Tayside Police, Lothian Police, Strathclyde Police, and the RSPB (if they were involved in the investigation) were so quiet about these incidents?

Ref 10192: 1 buzzard poisoned by carbofuran, 2 pigeon baits. Oct 2010, Tayside.

Ref 10196: 2 buzzards poisoned by carbofuran isofenphos. Oct 2010, Tayside.

Ref: 10204: 1 buzzard poisoned by carbofuran. Nov 2010, Lothian & Borders.

Ref 10206: 1 buzzard poisoned by carbofuran, 1 pheasant bait. Nov 2010, Strathclyde.

Ref 10225: 1 red kite poisoned by chloralose. Dec 2010, Tayside.

Two dead peregrines in Motherwell: strychnine poisoning confirmed

Two dead peregrines were found at the same location in Motherwell, near Glasgow, on two consecutive days in February. Tests revealed they had both been poisoned by strychnine. Strychnine is a banned pesticide, outlawed in the UK since September 2006 by the EU’s Biocide Directive, which states that it can no longer be sold or stored in the UK. Strychnine causes muscle spasms and violent seizures, acute pain and respiratory difficulties before death.

The first dead body was found at the foot of the high-rise block of flats called Coursington Tower, Motherwell, on February 15 2011. The second body was found in the same place the following day. This location is just a few metres away from a primary school and it is fortunate that the bodies were not picked up or handled by passing school children. Strychnine poisoning can be fatal in humans after absorption, inhalation or swallowing.

Interesting to note that the location where the bodies were found is also within a couple of miles of a racing pigeon club. Although the racing pigeon community does not have such a bad record as the gamekeeping community for raptor persecution, they do have a track record and peregrines are one of their well-publicised targets for hatred.

Well done to the SSPCA for taking the lead on this investigation. Anyone with information about this incident should call in confidence to the SSPCA helpline: 03000 999 999.

News story here: http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/235697-falcons-poisoned-in-motherwell-with-banned-pesticide/

2010 map of shame: raptor poisoning on the increase (again)

Here we go again…..the Partnership for Action against Wildlife Crime (PAW Scotland) has published the latest raptor persecution ‘hot-spot’ map based on the official poisoning figures from 2010. Surprise surprise, the number of confirmed poisonings in 2010 was higher than in 2009 and, once again, incidents were recorded throughout the length of mainland Scotland.

Once again, the map refers only to confirmed poisoning incidents – it does not indicate the locations where poisoned baits were discovered. Why not? It also does not indicate any other type of illegal raptor persecution incident such as shooting, trapping, beating, trampling, nest destruction, egg-stealing or other types of deliberate interference. Why not? It doesn’t name the estates where poisoned raptors were discovered. Why not? It doesn’t name the estates where poisoned baits were discovered. Why not? Same old, same old – these were the very questions we were asking this time last year and no doubt we’ll be asking them again next year when yet again, nothing has changed: https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com/2010/03/17/2009-map-of-shame-why-not-name-the-estates/

The Scottish Government said the latest maps (both the 2010 map and the cumulative 2006-2010 map) were put together based on SASA data, with input from the government, RSPB Scotland and the SRPBA. I wonder what the SRPBA’s contribution was? Perhaps they were looking over the shoulder of the map-designer and making sure the hotspots were edged an inch or two away from some of their members’ estate boundaries? Heaven forbid that the finger of suspicion should point toward an SRPBA member – they all love raptors and its just a very unhappy coincidence that the land they manage seems to be devoid of hen harriers and eagles and red kites and peregrines and goshawks….

In a statement, Environment Minister Roseanna Cunningham said: “It’s disappointing to see that there has been no improvement in the number of birds of prey being deliberately and illegally poisoned in Scotland in the last twelve months. The fact that 132 of these iconic species have been targeted in the last five years is unacceptable.

It’s especially sad that some of the victims, such as sea eagles, are part of reintroduction programmes and there really has to be a change in attitude amongst those who are persistently involved in killing raptors.

We are taking measures to tackle this problem and have introduced a new vicarious liability offence as part of the Wildlife and Natural Environment (Scotland) Bill to make sure that those who direct or turn a blind eye to bird persecution can be held to account.

I also fully support the work of the Raptor Persecution Priority Delivery Group, which is looking at developing innovative ways to address this persistent problem.”

Ah yes, the Raptor Persecution Priority Delivery Group, whose members include representatives from certain organisations who refuse to even accept that hen harrier persecution is an issue, let alone that any of their members could possibly be responsible. Does anybody with an ounce of intelligence really expect this group to ‘deliver’ anything other than bland sound bites about ‘partnership working’?

Meanwhile, back in the real world, reports are filtering through of the latest bird of prey poisoning incident in Scotland – more news on this when we can confirm the source.

Link to the PAW Scotland press release on the 2010 raptor poisoning maps: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Environment/Wildlife-Habitats/paw-scotland/news

Suspected Buzzard Poisoning on Mountquhanie Estate, Fife

POLICE in Fife are investigating the suspected poisoning of a buzzard north of Cupar.

The bird of prey was found dead by a member of the public close to Lewes Wood on the Mountquhanie Estate near Hazelton Walls.

It has been sent for post-mortem examination to confirm the cause of death and identify any poison that may have been used.

PC Ian Laing, Fife Constabulary’s wildlife and environmental crime co-ordinator, said: “Fortunately, Fife has not experienced raptor poisoning as much as other areas, but this case is a concern.

“Once we have confirmed the cause of death, we will be able to look at the potential source of any poisons used with a view to tracing those responsible.”

Kath Leys, area operations manager with Scottish Natural Heritage, added: “We’re very concerned about this suspected poisoning case in Fife.

“Buzzards may be fairly common nowadays, but they’re beautiful birds which are an important part of biodiversity.”

Full story here –

http://www.fifetoday.co.uk/news/local-headlines/fife_police_probe_buzzard_poisoning_1_1459717

Update on pending court cases

Nicholas Parker, head gamekeeper on the Holkham Estate, Norfolk, was due to appear before King’s Lynn Magistrates on Wednesday 9 February 2011 to answer the following charges:

  • Killing a Schedule One bird
  • Taking game out of season
  • Possessing ammunition for a firearm without a certificate
  • Possessing a shotgun or rifle for committing an ‘either way’ offence
  • Possessing a shotgun without a certificate
  • Contravening the Wildlife & Countryside Act.

Parker’s case has been postponed and is now due to be heard on 2 March 2011. (See blog post 25 January 2011 for original story).

A convicted gamekeeper in Scotland (name removed for legal reasons) was due back in court on 2nd December 2010 to face charges of using poison to kill multiple buzzards on a sporting estate. This case was postponed due to bad weather and was re-scheduled for 23 December 2010. The second trial was postponed after the defendant lodged an appeal on a legal technicality. This appeal is still pending. We will post an update in due course. (See blog posts Dec 1 & 21 for original story).

HOT OFF THE PRESS – there will be a forthcoming trial in March/April concerning alleged raptor persecution incidents in Derbyshire. Watch this space!